How to Make a Pea Straw Bale Garden
A 3 minute read by Peter Worsp
How to condition the bale before planting (10-14 days):
- For the first 3 days water thoroughly
- On the following 6 days use liquid fertiliser to add nitrogen and speed up decomposition
- On day 10 return to watering bale until temperature inside bale reflects the outside temperature
You are now ready to plant...
- Remove straw to form hole that is as deep as the rootball
- Place plant in hole, adding potting soil for extra nutrients and stability
- Fill the rest of the hole with the straw you removed
- Water well (DON'T LET THE BALE DRY OUT)
- Fertilise every week or two
Gardening note: If planting on grass put several layers of newspaper or a peice of cardboard underneath to prevent/minimise weeds and grass growing up into the bale. You can create your garden out of as many bales as desired and formatted into whatever shape you like.